Monday, December 14, 2009

Well, at least some rest for the weary

Silly me. I have been left thinking recently that the price of a movie ticket in New York City has gotten out of hand. They are around $11.50 now. I feel bad for the high school kid that wants to take his girlfriend out to dinner and a movie. That’s like $100! But on second thought, it all depends on what you go to the movies for.

You and I will pick out a movie that we want to see; we’ll probably go get a Sprite and some Sno-Caps and watch the previews until the flick starts. But that’s not what my parents do. They go to take a nap! I used to think this was insane; I used to think it was such a waste of money to shill out $11.50 for a movie only to fall asleep in it. I was definitely wrong.

My parents were up for a week for the Thanksgiving holiday, and we did our usual eating, shopping, hanging out and seeing a few movies. (Remember, I’m using the word see lightly.) One day, I’m not sure which, we go out to Long Island to shop and eat and then we decided to just head off to the movies without consulting a time schedule or what was playing. To make a long story short, we get to the theater and my mother made the call to see “An Education” without any of us knowing what it was about. But she was adamant that’s what we were all going to see. Ok, fine, we said, we’ll all go see that. We heard it was good. It’s 2:15 in the afternoon, my father pays for the tickets, and we head for the theater just in time for the 2:30 showing.

By 2:28 both of my parents are asleep! And I can’t believe it.



Truth is, being good shoppers and loving a bargain, my parents got a really good deal. Turns out a 20-minute nap at MetroNaps is $14. It’s $9.50 for each additional 20 minutes. So that two-hour movie gave my parents each $61.50 worth of napping for $11.50. Good for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment