Wednesday, November 25, 2009

You think you're so slick

I think it is an utter conspiracy what these petroleum companies do to us nowadays. We all know how monumentally wealthy companies like Exxon/Mobil, Texaco and BP are, but there are some tiny, underlying reasons why.

I pump gas at least once a week. I put the credit card in the slot like everyone else does, put my pin in like everyone else does, put the handle in the gas tank like everyone else does and stand there pumping. And the pump goes until it stops, usually just before it’s completely full. So what happens then? I’m usually at like $34.68 or something, so I want to top it off, like everyone else does. I want to pay a nice even $35 for my tank of gas. So I click the handle fairly firmly a few times until I get to like $34.95. Then what do I do? I click ever so gingerly: .96, .97, .98, .99. I have the perfect touch! The perfect amount of tension! I am inching up perfectly, one cent at a time. Then what happens? At .99 I click with that same gentle touch to get to exactly $35 … YET THE PUMP IMMEDIATELY JUMPS TO $35.01! AARRRGGGHHHHH!!! EVERY-SINGLE-FUCKING-TIME!!!

Is anything more frustrating? And is anything more of a crock of shit than that? It is a vast conspiracy to gain one extra cent out of every single paying customer in America. Think about how much extra money that is in those oil companies’ fat pockets?! See, it’s not just a penny; it’s your penny, combined with tens of millions of other people’s pennies all across America, every single day. This is why they are rich. Don’t just blame the Saudis. This is fucking crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment